Beer-Braised Spicy Beef Tacos
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
2 pounds beef shoulder center roast
2 teaspoons olive oil
Salt and ground black pepper
1 (12-ounce) bottle beer
2 medium chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon adobo sauce from chipotle peppers - divided use
12 (6-inch) corn or flour tortillas, warmed
2 cups coleslaw
Optional Toppings: Chopped red onion, chopped fresh cilantro, crumbled queso or sour cream, fresh lime juice or lime wedges
- Preheat oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Place beef pot roast in stockpot; brown evenly. Pour off drippings; season with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Add beer, peppers and 2 tablespoons adobo sauce to stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 hours or until pot roast is fork to tender.
- Meanwhile, combine coleslaw and remaining 1 teaspoon adobo sauce. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Remove pot roast; cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking liquid; bring to boil. Reduce to medium and cook 10 to 12 minutes or until reduced to 1 1/2 cups.
- Meanwhile, trim and discard excess fat from cooked pot roast. Shred pot roast with 2 forks. Return beef to reserved liquid; cook over medium heat until heated through.
- Serve beef in tortillas; top with coleslaw mixture and toppings, as desired.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories: 413; Total Fat: 16g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 57mg; Total Carbs: 37g; Fiber: 4g; Protein: 27g; Sodium: 500mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.