Search for recipes throughout
the entire site or select one of the recipe collections from
the drop-down menu on the search tool below:
Bacon adds a smokiness and coffee contributes
richer flavor in this delicious braised beef dish, strongly reminiscent
of beef stroganoff.
Braised Beef with
Bacon and Mushrooms
3 slices smoked bacon cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions thick sliced
- 6 ounces sliced mushrooms
- About 3 pounds beef chuck roast
2 cups strong black coffee
2 cups beef stock or bouillon
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons black pepper
1 teaspoon thyme
3 tablespoons butter, melted
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sour cream
- Hot cooked noodles or rice for accompaniment
- In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat,
fry bacon until slightly crisp. Add the onions and mushrooms
and cook until onion is softened, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove
bacon mixture from pan; set aside.
- In the same Dutch oven, brown the beef
roast on all sides over medium heat.
- Return bacon mixture to Dutch oven with
the beef and add the coffee, stock, salt, pepper, and thyme.
- Cover and reduce heat to low and simmer
for 3 to 4 hours, or until beef is fork-tender.
- Combine the melted butter and flour, mixing
well. Stir mixture into the braised beef; bring to a boil and
cook over medium heat until thickened, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in sour cream and cook just until
heated through, do not boil.
- Serve over hot cooked noodles or rice.
Makes 8 servings.
Rate and submit your comments
about this recipe below.