Braised Beef with Bacon and Mushrooms
Bacon and coffee add to the rich flavor of this braised beef dish, a delicious variation of the classic dish, beef stroganoff.
3 slices smoked bacon cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 medium onions thick sliced
6 ounces sliced mushrooms
About 3 pounds beef chuck roast
2 cups strong black coffee
2 cups beef stock or bouillon
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons black pepper
1 teaspoon thyme
3 tablespoons butter, melted
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sour cream
Hot cooked noodles or rice for accompaniment
- In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, fry bacon until slightly crisp. Add the onions and mushrooms and cook until onion is softened, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove bacon mixture from pan; set aside.
- In the same Dutch oven, brown the beef roast on all sides over medium heat.
- Return bacon mixture to Dutch oven with the beef and add the coffee, stock, salt, pepper, and thyme.
- Cover and reduce heat to low and simmer for 3 to 4 hours, or until beef is fork-tender.
- Combine the melted butter and flour, mixing well. Stir mixture into the braised beef; bring to a boil and cook over medium heat until thickened, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in sour cream and cook just until heated through, do not boil.
- Serve over hot cooked noodles or rice.
Makes 8 servings.