Braised Beef with Lime-Cilantro Mayonnaise
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
1 1/2 pounds beef eye of round steaks, cut 3/4 to 1-inch thick
2 cups coarsely chopped onions
1 1/2 cups water
Cilantro to Lime Mayonnaise:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
Juice of 1 lime
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 lime, cut into 8 wedges
- Place beef steaks, onions and water in stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1 1/4 to 1 3/4 hours, or until beef is fork to tender.
- Meanwhile combine Lime to Cilantro Mayonnaise ingredients in small bowl. Refrigerate, covered, until ready to use.
- Remove steaks; keep warm. Strain solids from cooking liquid; discard solids.
- Carve steaks into thin slices; arrange on serving platter. Pour enough cooking liquid over beef to moisten (about 1/4 cup).
- Serve with Lime to Cilantro Mayonnaise and lime wedges.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 400; Total Fat: 27g; Saturated Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 69mg; Total Carbs: 10g; Fiber: 1g; Protein: 29g; Sodium: 190mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.