Braised Beef with Mushrooms and Barley
This delicious pot roast dish makes an easy, comforting meal that's perfect for a Sunday supper with family. Complete the menu with sautéed Brussels sprouts and warm dinner rolls.
1 (about 3 pounds) boneless beef chuck arm, blade or shoulder pot roast
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 pound medium cremini or button mushrooms, halved
1 medium onion, chopped
3 large cloves garlic, minced
1 1/4 cups beef broth
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup medium pearl barley
1 cup frozen peas, defrosted
1/3 cup dairy sour cream
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat until hot. Brown beef pot roast; remove. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add mushrooms, onion and garlic to Dutch oven; cook and stir until onion is lightly browned. Add broth and bay leaf. Return pot roast; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1 1/2 hours.
- Stir in barley; continue cooking, covered, 45 to 60 minutes or until pot roast is fork-tender. Remove pot roast; keep warm. Discard bay leaf.
- Add peas and sour cream to barley. Cook and stir over low heat just until heated through.
- Carve pot roast. Serve with mushrooms and barley.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the Beef Industry Council.