Chili-Crusted Tri-Tip Roast
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 (1 1/2 to 2-pound) beef roast
Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C).
- Combine rub ingredients and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; press onto beef roast.
- Place roast on rack in shallow roasting pan. Do not add water or cover.
- Roast in 425°F (218°C) oven 30 to 40 minutes for medium rare; 40 to 45 minutes for medium done.
- Remove roast when instant-read thermometer inserted in thickest part registers 135°F for medium rare; 150°F for medium. Let stand 15 minutes. (Temperature will rise to reach 145°F (62.7°C) for medium rare; 160°F (71.1°C) for medium.)
- Carve roast across the grain; season with salt.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.