Chinese Pepper Steak
A simple and tasty Chinese dish with thinly sliced beef round steak with tomatoes, onion, garlic and green bell peppers seasoned with soy sauce. Serve over a bed of hot cooked rice.
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 pounds boneless beef top round steak, thinly sliced
1/2 cup chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/4 cups water
4 teaspoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon beef base or bouillon granules
1/4 cup water
1 (16-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
1 1/2 cups diced seeded green bell peppers
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil and add beef. Cook until browned, then remove beef from skillet; place in a covered bowl to keep warm.
- To the same skillet, add onion and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for about 3 minutes or until onion starts to brown.
- In a small bowl, combine first addition of water and cornstarch thoroughly; set aside.
- Return meat to skillet. Add beef base, water, tomatoes and green peppers. Reduce heat to medium, cover skillet and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- To the cornstarch mixture, add soy sauce and pepper, then add to skillet. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring, until mixture has thickened slightly and is hot and bubbly, about 3 minutes. Serve hot.
Makes 6 servings.