Chopped liver is a spread popular in Jewish cuisine.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
3 tablespoons butter
1 pound beef liver, sliced
1 large hard-cooked egg, mashed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Sliced tomato for accompaniment
Sliced cucumber for accompaniment
Sliced rye bread for accompaniment
- Heat oil in a heavy skillet; add chopped onion. Cook over medium high heat until translucent and golden brown. Remove and set aside.
- Melt butter in the skillet; add sliced beef liver. Over medium heat, fry the liver about 3 minutes on each side. To test for doneness, cut the liver. If pink, continue cooking for 30 to 60 seconds.
- Place the cooked liver and the cooked onions in a blender or food processor. Grind coarsely.
- In a medium bowl, combine the liver/onion mixture with mashed hard-boiled egg, salt, and pepper.
- Refrigerate overnight then serve with sliced tomato, sliced cucumber, and rye bread.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.