Classic Prime Rib Roast
A prime rib roast is impressive, perfect for entertaining and holiday meals, plus you'll love how easy this recipe is.
1 (6 to 8 pound) well-trimmed beef rib roast, chine bone removed
6 large cloves garlic, crushed
1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Combine garlic, thyme leaves and black pepper. Press evenly into surface of beef roast.
- Place roast, fat side up, on rack in shallow roasting pan. Do not add water or cover roast.
- Roast approximately 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 hours. Use instant read thermometer and remove when internal temperature reaches 135°F (55-60°C) for medium rare or 150°F (65°C) for medium.
- Tent loosely with foil and let stand 15 minutes prior to carving.
Makes 8 to 12 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Texas Beef Council and Beef It's Whats For Dinner.