Corned Beef & Orange-Glazed Vegetables
Fork-tender corned beef served with orange-glazed carrot slices and onion wedges.
1 (2 1/2 to 3 1/2-pound) boneless corned beef brisket
1 pound carrots, sliced (1/2-inch)
1 medium onion, cut into 8 wedges
1/3 cup orange juice
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- Place corned beef brisket in Dutch oven; add water to cover. Bring just to a simmer; do not boil. Cover tightly and simmer 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours or until fork-tender.
- Combine orange juice, sugar and cornstarch in small saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in butter and orange peel.
- Cook carrots in boiling water in medium saucepan 10 minutes. Add onion; continue cooking 5 minutes or until just tender. Drain; return to saucepan.
- Remove brisket from water; trim fat. Place on rack in broiler pan so surface of beef is 3 to 4-inches from heat. Brush top of brisket with 2 tablespoons glaze. Broil 3 minutes or until glazed.
- Pour remaining glaze over vegetables; cook over medium-high heat 1 to 2 minutes or until glazed. Carve brisket diagonally across the grain. Serve with vegetables.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the Beef Industry Council.