Country Style Ribs with Rustic Fire-Roasted Tomato Sauce
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
2 pounds beef Country-style ribs
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 cups sliced assorted wild mushrooms (such as cremini, oyster and shiitake)
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 (14.5-ounce) cans fire-roasted tomatoes, undrained
5 1/2 cups hot cooked bow-tie pasta
Optional Toppings: Sliced fresh basil and freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown half of beef ribs; remove from stockpot. repeat with remaining beef. season with salt and pepper.
- Add mushrooms and garlic to stockpot; cook 3 to 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in tomatoes. Return beef to stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1 3/4 to 2 hours, or until beef is fork to tender.
- Remove beef; cut into bite size pieces. Keep warm. Skim fat from cooking liquid. Combine beef, pasta and cooking liquid in same pan; heat over medium heat until heated through, stirring occasionally.
- Garnish beef mixture with basil and cheese, if desired.
Makes 6 servings.
- 4 cups sliced button mushrooms may be substituted for assorted wild mushrooms.
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained, may be substituted for fire-roasted tomatoes.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories: 427; Total Fat: 12g; Saturated Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 72mg; Total Carbs: 48g; Fiber: 5g; Protein: 32g; Sodium: 565mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.