Cracked Pepper Steak
with Roasted Garlic-Chive Butter
Seasonings and cracked black pepper-laden New York strip steaks are pan-seared, then finished off in the oven. Save time and effort by preparing the flavored butter in advance.
2 teaspoons coarsely cracked black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (3-inch-thick) New York strip steak, trimmed (2 1/2 pounds)
1/4 cup butter, melted
Roasted Garlic-Chive Butter:
2 heads garlic
1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup water
3/4 cup butter
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
Fresh chives for garnish (optional)
- Combine first 3 ingredients; press evenly onto steak.
- Cook steak in butter in a cast-iron or heavy oven-proof skillet over medium heat 2 minutes on all sides. Bake in a preheated oven at 450°F (230°C) for 25 to 27 minutes or until desired degree of doneness. Remove from oven; let stand 10 minutes.
- Slice and serve with Roasted Garlic-Chive Butter. Garnish, if desired.
- For Roasted Garlic-Chive Butter: Cut garlic heads in half crosswise and place in a shallow pan. Drizzle with oil. Add water to pan; cover and bake at 450°F (230°C) for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes. Let cool. Remove skins and finely mince garlic.
- Combine garlic, butter and chives; cover and chill. Makes 3/4 cup butter.
Makes 6 servings.