Filet Mignon with Herb-Butter Sauce and Mushrooms
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
4 beef tenderloin steaks (filet mignon) or Petite steaks, cut 1-inch thick (about 6 ounces each)
1 tablespoon butter
1 1/2 cups assorted mushrooms (shiitake, enoki, straw, cremini, button or chanterelle), whole or cut in half if large
1/4 cup minced shallots
1 1/2 cups beef broth
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon water
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot.
- Place beef steaks in skillet; cook 10 to 13 minutes for medium rare (145°F | 62.7°C) to medium (160°F | 71.1°C) doneness, turning occasionally. Remove to platter, season with salt and pepper, as desired. Keep warm.
- Heat butter in same skillet over medium heat until melted. Add mushrooms and shallots; cook and stir 3 to 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and browned.
- Add beef broth and thyme to skillet, stirring until browned bits attached to bottom of pan are dissolved; bring to a boil.
- Combine cornstarch and water in small bowl; stir into mushroom mixture. Cook 2 minutes or until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally. season with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Serve steaks with sauce.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 282; Total Fat: 13g; Saturated Fat: 6g; Cholesterol: 97mg; Total Carbs: 5g; Protein: 35g; Sodium: 365mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.