Garden Grill Tri-Tip
Tri-tip roast takes a dip in a flavorful marinade and then gets grilled alongside a vegetable medley (ratatouille to the foodie).
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, selenium and zinc; and a good source of fiber, iron and choline.
1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon minced garlic
Tri-Tip and Vegetables:
1 (1 1/2 to 2-pound) beef Tri-Tip Roast
1 small eggplant, cut crosswise into 1/2 inch thick slices
2 small red and/or yellow bell peppers, cut lengthwise into quarters
2 medium yellow squash and/or zucchini, cut lengthwise in half
1 cup grape tomatoes, cut in half
1/4 cup lightly packed chopped fresh basil
Salt and ground black pepper
- For Marinade: Combine marinade ingredients in small bowl.
- For Tri-Tip and Vegetables: Place beef roast and 1/3 cup marinade in food-safe plastic bag; turn roast to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 15 minutes to 2 hours, turning occasionally. Cover and reserve remaining marinade in refrigerator.
- Remove 1/4 cup of reserved marinade for ratatouille; set aside. Toss vegetables (except tomatoes) with remaining marinade.
- Remove roast from marinade; discard marinade. Place roast in center of grid over medium, ash-covered coals or over medium heat on preheated gas grill; arrange vegetables (except tomatoes) around roast. Grill roast, covered, 25 to 35 minutes for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally. Grill eggplant and bell peppers 7 to 11 minutes; zucchini and yellow squash 8 to 12 minutes (on gas grill, eggplant 6 to 8 minutes; bell peppers, zucchini and yellow squash 7 to 11 minutes) or until tender, turning occasionally.
- Remove roast when instant-read thermometer registers 135°F for medium rare; 150°F for medium. Transfer roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 10 minutes. (Temperature will continue to rise about 10°F to reach 145°F for medium rare; 160°F for medium.)
- Meanwhile, cut grilled vegetables into 1-inch pieces. Combine vegetables, tomatoes, basil and reserved 1/4 cup marinade in large bowl; toss to coat. Carve roast diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Season roast and ratatouille with salt and black pepper, as desired. Serve roast with ratatouille.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): 296 calories; 17 g fat (4 g saturated fat; 11 g monounsaturated fat); 60 mg cholesterol; 53 mg sodium; 9 g carbohydrate; 4.0 g fiber; 24 g protein; 7.7 mg niacin; 0.7 mg vitamin B6; 1.3 mcg vitamin B12; 2.1 mg iron; 27.6 mcg selenium; 4.6 mg zinc; 98.4 mg choline.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.