Garlic-Pepper Petite Top Loin
with Roasted Green Beans and Mushrooms
Elegant dining is personified with this garlic and cracked pepper coated beef top loin petite roast served with roasted green beans and cremini mushrooms.
1 (3 to 4-pound) beef top loin petite roast
1 1/2 pounds green beans, trimmed
8 ounces cremini or button mushrooms, cut in half
6 large shallots, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch wedges
3 tablespoons olive oil
5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Combine Seasoning ingredients; press evenly onto all surfaces of beef roast.
- Place roast, fat to side up, on rack in shallow roasting pan. Insert oven-proof meat thermometer so tip is centered in thickest part of beef, not resting in fat. Do not add water or cover.
- Roast in 325°F (160°C) oven 1 to 1 1/4 hours for medium rare; 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours for medium doneness.
- Meanwhile, toss green beans, mushrooms and shallots with oil on rimmed baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper, as desired.
- About 1 hour before beef is finished roasting, place vegetables on bottom oven rack. After removing roast, increase oven temperature to 425°F (220°C); continue roasting vegetables about 15 minutes or until beans and shallots are crisp-tender and starting to brown, stirring once.
- Remove roast when meat thermometer registers 135°F (57.2°C) for medium rare; 150°F (68.3°C) for medium. Transfer roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes (Temperature will continue to rise about 10°F to reach 145°F (162.7°C) for medium rare; 160°F (71.1°C) for medium.)
- Carve roast into slices; season with salt and pepper, as desired. Serve with roasted vegetables.
Makes 12 servings.
Tip: One beef top sirloin petite roast (3 to 4 pounds) may be substituted for top loin petite roast. Roast in 325°F (160°C) oven 1 1/2 to 1 to 3/4 hour for medium rare; 1 3/4 to 2 1/4 hour for medium doneness.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe using 3 pound beef top loin petite roast): Calories: 231; Total Fat: 11g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 69mg; Total Carbs: 8g; Fiber: 2g; Protein: 26g; Sodium: 5mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.