Ginger-Maple Steak with Napa Cabbage and Grilled Onions
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
Tip: This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, selenium and zinc; and a good source of vitamin B12.
Ginger-Maple Marinade and Dressing:
1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
1 1/2 teaspoons chili to garlic paste
2 boneless beef top loin (strip) steaks, cut 1-inch thick (about 10 ounces each)
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 large red onion, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
4 cups thinly sliced Napa cabbage
- For Ginger-Maple Marinade and Dressing: Whisk marinade ingredients in medium bowl.
- Place beef steaks and 1/2 cup marinade in food to safe plastic bag; turn steaks to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 15 minutes to 2 hours. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade for dressing.
- Remove steaks from marinade; discard marinade.
- Sprinkle steaks with pepper. Place steaks in center of grid over medium, ash-covered coals; arrange onion around steaks.
- Grill steaks, uncovered, 15 to 18 minutes for medium rare to medium doneness, turning occasionally.
- Grill onions 15 to 20 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally.
- Carve steaks into slices. Cut onion slices into quarters.
- Toss cabbage, onion and 2 tablespoons reserved dressing in large bowl.
- Arrange beef on cabbage mixture. Drizzle with some of remaining dressing. Pass remaining dressing.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 166; Total Fat: 5g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 35mg; Total Carbs: 11g; Fiber: 1g; Protein: 17g; Sodium: 501mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.