Golden Harvest Beef
An autumn beef brisket dinner, complete with carrots, apples, potatoes, yams and a savory gravy with sweet mandarin oranges.
2 1/2 pounds brisket
2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
2 onions, chopped
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar - divided use
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 cups water, boiling
1 (29-ounce) can yams
6 carrots, peeled and sliced
2 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
3 potatoes, peeled and sliced
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup tomato ketchup
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 tablespoon dry mustard
1 (11-ounce) can mandarin orange sections
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Trim the excess fat from brisket.
- In a large kettle (or Dutch oven) in shortening brown meat on both sides. Pour off the drippings. Add chopped onions, 1/4 cup brown sugar, salt, and pepper. Stir in boiling water. Cover and bake for 2 hours.
- To the kettle, add yams, sliced carrots, sliced apples, sliced potatoes, and 1/4 cup brown sugar. Continue cooking, covered, for 30 minutes.
- In a small saucepan combine sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, ketchup, cornstarch, and dry mustard. Mix well.
- Drain mandarin orange sections, reserving the liquid. Stir the liquid into the sugar mixture, and cook over medium heat until the sauce boils. Add the mandarin oranges.
- Spoon about half of the sauce over the meat. Continue cooking, uncovered, for about 30 minutes, or until the meat is tender, basting with the sauce occasionally.
- Carve the meat diagonally across the grain and place on platter with the vegetables. Spoon the remaining hot sauce over the meat and vegetables.
Makes 6 servings.