Gremolata-Topped Beef Roast
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
1 medium lemon
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley - divided use
2 tablespoons minced garlic - divided use
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper - divided use
1 (3 to 4-pound) boneless beef Round Rump Roast or Bottom Round Roast
2 pounds fingerling potatoes, halved or quartered if large
2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Grate lemon peel and squeeze 1 tablespoon lemon juice from lemon.
- Combine lemon peel, 2 tablespoons chopped parsley, 1 tablespoon minced garlic and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in medium bowl.
- Press mixture evenly onto all surfaces of beef roast.
- Place roast, fat side up, on rack in shallow roasting pan. Insert oven-proof meat thermometer so tip is centered in thickest part of beef, not resting in fat. Do not add water or cover.
- Toss potatoes with olive oil and remaining 1 tablespoon minced garlic on rimmed baking sheet; season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Roast beef and in 325°F (160°C) oven 1 1/2 to 2 hours for medium rare.
- Roast potatoes 55 to 60 minutes, or until potatoes are tender and begin to brown, stirring once.
- Remove roast when meat thermometer registers 135°F (57.2°C) for medium rare.
- Transfer roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 15 to 20 minutes (Temperature will continue to rise about 10°F to reach 145°F (62.7°C) for medium rare.)
- Toss potatoes with remaining 2 tablespoons chopped parsley and 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
- Carve roast into thin slices. Season beef and potatoes with salt, as desired.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.