Grilled Italian Beef Roll-Ups
Marinated stuffed rolls of beef are grilled and served on a bed of spaghetti with marinara sauce.
1 1/2 pounds beef round, cut thin and fat trimmed
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 garlic cloves, smashed to pulp
1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup bread crumbs
2 large hard-cooked eggs, shelled and chopped
2 ounces prosciutto (or ham), coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 garlic clove, finely minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 (16-ounce) jar marinara sauce (or your own)
1 pound spaghetti, cooked according to package directions
Additional freshly grated Parmesan cheese for garnish
- For Beef: Cut meat into 6 rectangles. Place each piece between sheets of plastic wrap; pound to 1/8-inch thickness. Place in plastic zip-lock style bag.
- Whisk olive oil, vinegar, oregano, garlic, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper in small bowl. Add to meat. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- For Filling: Heat olive oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; reduce heat to medium, cook for 3 minutes until softened. Stir in crumbs, egg, prosciutto, cheese, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Remove steaks from marinade; discard marinade. Divide filling among steaks; roll up jelly roll style. Secure with wooden picks.
- To Cook: Prepare outdoor grill with medium-hot coals, or heat gas grill to medium-hot.
- Grill, covered, turning several times, 15 minutes or until beef is tender; be careful of flare-ups.
- Heat marinara sauce in saucepan.
- To Serve: Place roll-ups on a bed of spaghetti and ladle sauce over. Sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Makes 6 servings.
To Oven-Roast: Heat oven to 400°F (205°C). Place roll-ups on greased broiler-pan rack. Roast for 15 minutes. Turn and cook for another 10 minutes.