Don's Marinated Steak with Mushrooms
Flavorful, marinated steaks are pan-grilled and served with a savory sauce of sliced mushrooms. This delicious steak dish was created by my husband over 20 years ago and has been a family favorite ever since.
4 (8-ounce) steaks, 1-inch thick (New York strip, tri-tip, top sirloin, etc.)
Non-stick cooking spray
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
Juice of 1/2 large fresh lemon (2 tablespoons)
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco Brand hot sauce
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/8 teaspoon dried basil leaves, crushed
Juice of 1/2 fresh lemon (2 tablespoons)
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
Dash of Tabasco brand hot sauce (optional)
1/4 cup butter
4 to 6 green onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Hot cooked wild or long grain rice for accompaniment (optional)
- For Marinade: In large zipper-style plastic bag (or nonreactive dish such as glass) combine ingredients for the marinade, mixing well. Place steaks in marinade and allow to marinate for 2 hours at room temperature or several hours in the refrigerator, turning steaks over occasionally.
- For Steaks: Remove steaks and discard marinade.
- Spray a large, heavy frying pan with cooking spray and preheat over medium-high heat. Add the steaks* and cook 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium doneness, or until desired doneness. Set aside and keep warm.
- For Mushrooms: In a small bowl whisk together the lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce and Tabasco sauce (if using). Set aside.
- Using the same frying pan, melt the butter in the drippings over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes or until softened, stirring occasionally. Add the mushrooms and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until softened, stirring occasionally. Stir in reserved lemon/Worcestershire mixture and simmer, uncovered for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season to taste with salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve mushrooms spooned atop steaks with a side of hot cooked wild or long grain rice, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
*If frying pan is not large enough to prevent over-crowding the steaks, then pan-grill the steaks two at a time for best results.
Instructions for Outside Grilling:
- Build a high-heat fire. Set grill rack in place, cover grill with lid and let rack heat up, about 5 minutes.
- Remove steaks from marinade; discard marinade.
- Grill steaks uncovered, until well browned on one side, 2 to 3 minutes. If steaks start to flame, pull them to cooler part of grill or extinguish flames with a spray bottle filled with water.
- Once steaks are well browned on both sides, slide each one to cooler part of grill. Continue grilling over medium fire to desired doneness, 5 to 6 minutes more for rare (120°F | 50°C), 6 to 7 minutes for medium rare (125°F | 50°C), 7 to 8 minutes for medium rare (130°F | 55°C) or 8 to 9 minutes for medium (135°F to 140°F | 55°C to 60°C).
- Let steaks rest 5 minutes and serve with mushrooms spooned atop the steaks.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): 368.5 calories; 65% calories from fat; 27.0g total fat; 96.5mg cholesterol; 885.1mg sodium; 688.6mg potassium; 7.4g carbohydrates; 1.5g fiber; 2.1g sugar; 5.8g net carbs; 25.0g protein.