Hearty Glazed Tri-Tip Roast with Creamy Gorgonzola Sauce
Marinated in a garlicky balsamic vinegar and soy sauce mixture, this tasty tri-tip roast recipe sends the flavor meter soaring with its pairing of a delicious creamy gorgonzola sauce. The roasted broccolini makes an ideal and easy accompaniment.
1 beef tri-tip roast (about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds)
1 red onion, cut into 16 wedges
4 cups broccolini or baby broccoli, trimmed (about 9 ounces)
Nonstick cooking spray
Salt and pepper
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
3 cloves garlic, minced
Creamy Gorgonzola Sauce:
1/4 cup reduced fat cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
2 tablespoon crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
1 tablespoon minced onion
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Combine marinade ingredients in small bowl. Reserve 2 tablespoons for basting. Place beef roast and remaining marinade in food-safe plastic bag; turn roast to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 30 minutes to 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 425°F (220°C). Remove roast from marinade; discard marinade. Place roast on rack in shallow roasting pan. Place onion wedges around roast. Do not add water or cover. Roast in 425°F (220°C oven 30 to 40 minutes for medium rare; 40 to 45 minutes for medium doneness, basting with reserved 2 tablespoons marinade halfway through roasting time.
- Remove roast when meat thermometer registers 135°F (55°C) for medium rare; 150°F (65°C) for medium. Transfer roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 15 to 20 minutes. (Temperature will continue to rise about 10°F to reach 145°F | 60°C for medium rare; 160°F | 70°C for medium.)
- Meanwhile prepare Creamy Gorgonzola Sauce. Combine all sauce ingredients in small bowl; mix well. Set aside.
- Spray Broccolini with nonstick cooking spray, tossing to coat. Place on metal baking sheet. Roast in 425°F oven 10 to 15 minutes or until crisp-tender and slightly browned. Toss onion wedges with broccolini. Season with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Carve roast across the grain into thin slices. Season with salt and pepper, as desired. Top beef with Creamy Gorgonzola Sauce. Serve with vegetables.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Cattlemen's Beef Board and National Cattlemen's Beef Association and Beef, It's What's For Dinner©.