Herb-Crusted Top Loin Roast
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 teaspoon coarse grind black pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil - divided use
1 (1 1/2 to 2-pound) beef top loin petite roast
12 ounces fingerling potatoes, cut lengthwise in half
12 ounces new potatoes, cut in half
4 large shallots, peeled, cut lengthwise into quarters
Coarse salt, as needed
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Combine basil, thyme, parsley and pepper; stir in 1 tablespoon oil. Press evenly onto all surfaces of beef roast.
- Place roast, fat to side up, on rack in shallow roasting pan. Insert oven-proof meat thermometer so tip is centered in thickest part of beef. Do not add water or cover. Set aside.
- Toss potatoes and shallots with remaining 2 tablespoons vegetable oil on rimmed baking sheet; season with salt and pepper, as desired. Turn vegetables, cut to side down.
- Roast beef in 325°F (160°C) oven 55 to 70 minutes for medium rare to medium doneness; roast vegetables 55 to 60 minutes or until potatoes are almost tender.
- Remove roast when meat thermometer registers 135°F (57.2°C) for medium rare; 150°F (68.3°C) for medium. Transfer roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 10 minutes. (Temperature will continue to rise about 10°F to reach 145°F (62.7°C) for medium rare; 160°F (71.1°C) for medium.)
- Meanwhile, increase oven temperature to 425°F (220°C). Stir vegetables; continue roasting 8 to 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender and browned.
- Carve roast into slices, season with coarse salt, as desired. Serve with roasted vegetables.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories: 347; Total Fat: 14g; Saturated Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 69mg; Total Carbs: 28g; Fiber: 3g; Protein: 27g; Sodium: 12mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.