Herb-Topped Beef Roast with Roasted Cauliflower
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
1 (3 to 4 pound) beef top loin (strip) roast
4 teaspoons minced garlic - divided use
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
2 heads (about 2 1/2 pounds each) cauliflower, separated into florets
6 tablespoons olive oil - divided use
Salt and ground black pepper
2/3 cup dry Italian-seasoned bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Press 2 teaspoons of garlic evenly onto all surfaces of beef roast. Press thyme evenly over roast.
- Place roast, fat to side up, on rack in shallow roasting pan. Insert oven-proof meat thermometer so tip is centered in thickest part of beef, not resting in fat. Do not add water or cover. Roast on center rack in 325°F (160°C) oven 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours for medium rare; 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours for medium doneness.
- Meanwhile, toss remaining 2 teaspoons garlic, 4 tablespoons vegetable oil and cauliflower on rimmed baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper, as desired. Cover with aluminum foil; bake on lower rack 45 minutes.
- Combine bread crumbs and remaining 2 tablespoons vegetable oil. Remove foil; sprinkle bread crumbs evenly over cauliflower. Continue to bake, uncovered, 30 to 45 minutes or until crumbs are golden brown and cauliflower begins to brown.
- Remove roast when meat thermometer registers 135°F (57.2°C) for medium rare; 150°F (68.3°C) for medium. Transfer roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 15 to 20 minutes (Temperature will continue to rise about 10°F to reach 145°F (62.7°C) for medium rare; 160°F (71.1°C) for medium.)
- Carve roast into slices; season with salt and pepper, as desired. Serve with cauliflower.
Makes 12 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): Calories: 282; Total Fat: 13g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 56mg; Total Carbs: 12g; Fiber: 4g; Protein: 28g; Sodium: 254mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.