Hot Peppered Beef
Hotter than hot, spicy peppered Asian-stir fry.
1 pound flank steak
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon dry sherry
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
8 small dried hot chiles, seeds removed
3 medium cloves garlic, crushed
2 fresh Anaheim chiles, peeled and cut into fine strips
1 carrot, cut into fine strips
1 stalk celery, cut into fine strips
- Cut beef with grain into halves, then cut across grain into 1 4-inch
- Mix beef, soy sauce, sherry and sugar.
- Heat oil in wok or large, heavy skillet until hot. Add red chiles. Cook over medium heat until chiles are blackened.
- Discard chiles, leaving oil.
- Add beef and garlic. Stir-fry 2 minutes, or until beef is nearly done. Remove beef to warm platter.
- Add green chiles, carrot and celery to oil. Stir-fry until tender-crisp. Add beef; cover and cook until beef is just done, about 2 minutes.
Makes 4 servings.