Italian-Style Beef Cutlets
Breaded and baked beef cutlets, covered in an Italian tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese.
Italian Tomato Sauce for Cutlets:
1/8 cup olive oil
1 cup chopped white onion
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 garlic clove, crushed
3 cups chopped, peeled tomatoes
1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
3/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
3/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup dry bread crumbs
1 tablespoon freshly grated Romano cheese
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon flat-leaf parsley
2 large eggs
1 cup milk
2 pounds 1/4-thick sirloin steak
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
8 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced
- For Italian Cutlet Sauce: Heat olive oil in a saucepan. Add onion, bell pepper and garlic; sauté for 3 to 4 minutes. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, rosemary, oregano, and salt, pepper, and chicken broth. Simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- For Beef Cutlets: In a small bowl stir dry bread crumbs, grated Romano cheese, basil, and parsley.
- In another bowl combine eggs and milk.
- Dredge sirloin steak (about 1/4-inch thick and cut into serving portions) lightly in flour, then the egg mixture, then the bread crumb mixture. Pat in the crumb mixture lightly. Place on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 325°F (160°C) for 20 minutes.
- Spoon about half the Italian Cutlet Sauce in a large baking dish and place the pre-cooked cutlets on top. Spoon the remaining sauce over cutlets and cover with sliced mozzarella cheese, and return to the oven to melt the cheese.
Makes 6 servings.