Janet's Barbecued Chuck Roast
Janet shares her very special recipe for genuine barbecued chuck roast.
1 (3 pound) chuck roast
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
3/4 cup tomato ketchup
1 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon white-distilled vinegar
1 onion, sliced
1 green bell pepper, seeded and sliced
Heavy aluminum foil
- Preheat barbeque grill.
- Place rump roast on the hot grill and brown on each side, about 10 minutes.
- For Barbecue Sauce: In a large mixing bowl combine flour, brown sugar, salt, pepper, dry mustard, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and vinegar.
- Place half the barbecue sauce, 1/2 the sliced onion and 1/2 the sliced green bell pepper on a large piece of heavy aluminum foil. Place the roast on top and add the rest of the barbecue sauce, folding up the foil to keep in the liquid. Cover with another piece of heavy aluminum foil and seal the edges tightly.
- Place back on the grill for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Be careful of the hot steam when opening aluminum foil.
Makes 6 servings.