Kilkenny Corned Beef
Cook the corned beef the day before, then return to oven before serving for final glaze. Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
1 corned beef brisket (about 5 pounds)
1 tablespoon mixed pickling spices
1/2 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
1/3 cup prepared mustard
8 ounces (1 cup) sour cream
2 tablespoons prepared mustard
2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Wash corned beef brisket. Place in large roasting pan on oven rack. Cover meat with boiling water; add pickling spices; cover pan with aluminum foil.
- Bake in preheated oven for 2 hours, or until tender when pierced with two tined fork. Allow to cool in cooking liquid. (This can be done the day before; refrigerate.)
- Prepare Horseradish Sauce; refrigerate.
- About 1 hour before serving, drain cooked corned beef and place in roasting pan.
- Bake at 325°F (160°C) for 30 minutes.
- Combine brown sugar, packed and mustard in small bowl and spread over corned beef. Bake 30 minutes longer or until well glazed.
- Cut into thin slices and serve with Horseradish Sauce. Garnish with wedges of orange and sprigs of watercress, if desired.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.