Marinated, breaded and fried flank steak is sliced into thin strips and served over a bed of rice garnished with chopped green onions.
1 pound flank steak, cut into 4 pieces
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon grated ginger root
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 large eggs, beaten
2 cups peanut oil
3 green onions, trimmed and chopped
Hot cooked rice for accompaniment
- Place flank steak in shallow pan or bowl; set aside.
- Combine soy sauce, sugar, ginger root, garlic, salt and pepper. Pour over the flank steak and marinate for 20 minutes.
- Place flour in a separate shallow pan or bowl, and beat the eggs in another separate shallow pan or bowl.
- Once meat has finished marinating, drain and dredge both sides of each piece in flour. Dip the floured beef into beaten eggs.
- Heat oil to 350°F (175°C) in a deep, heavy skillet.
- Fry meat, in batches if necessary, until nicely browned and crispy.
- Slice each piece diagonally into 1/2-inch strips.
- Serve topped with chopped green onions over hot cooked rice.
Makes 4 servings.