Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
2 medium red onions, cut into 8 wedges each
1/3 cup prepared red wine vinaigrette
1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves, crushed
1 pound beef top round steak, cut 1-inch thick
1 pound asparagus, trimmed
3 tablespoons prepared red wine vinaigrette
Salt and ground black pepper
- Chop 4 of the onion wedges. Combine marinade ingredients and chopped onion in small bowl.
- Place beef steak and marinade in food to safe plastic bag; turn steak to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 6 hours or as long as overnight, turning occasionally.
- Thread remaining 12 onion wedges onto two 12-inch metal skewers.
- Remove steak from marinade; discard marinade.
- Place steak in center of grid over medium, ash-covered coals; arrange onion kabobs and asparagus on grid around steak. Grill steak, uncovered, 16 to 18 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, covered, 16 to 19 minutes) for medium rare (145°F | 62.7°C) to medium (160°F | 71.1°C) doneness, turning occasionally. Grill onion wedges, covered, 15 to 20 minutes, turning occasionally. (Gas grilling times remain the same.); grill asparagus 6 to 10 minutes (covered, 8 to 12 minutes on gas grill) or until crisp tender, turning occasionally.
- Remove onions from skewers. Toss onions and asparagus with 3 tablespoons vinaigrette. Carve steak crosswise into thin slices. season with salt and pepper, as desired. Serve with vegetables.
Makes 4 servings.
- To make asparagus spears easier to turn on the grill, thread them ladder-style onto two 12-inch metal skewers. Insert a skewer about 1 inch from each end of the asparagus spear, leaving small space between spears. Use tongs to turn entire asparagus "ladder" for even cooking.
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds boneless beef chuck shoulder steak, cut 1-inch thick, may be substituted for beef round steak. To grill chuck shoulder steak, place steak on grid and grill, uncovered, 16 to 20 minutes (covered, 15 to 19 minutes on gas grill) for medium rare to medium doneness, turning occasionally
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 258; Total Fat: 13g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 42mg; Total Carbs: 9g; Fiber: 2g; Protein: 26g; Sodium: 703mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.