Most-Requested Liver Recipe
An unnamed Oregon restaurant chef shared this popular menu item in Sunset Magazine's feature, 'Kitchen Cabinet'. To make the savory dish, you top lightly sautéed liver with chunks of tomato, onion, green pepper and bacon, then bake.
6 slices bacon
1 1/2 pounds baby beef liver, cut into serving-size pieces
1 large onion, sliced
1 green pepper, seeded and sliced
1 (1.5-ounce) package dry onion soup mix
1 (14.5-ounce) can stewed tomatoes
Seasoned salt and pepper
Hot cooked noodles (optional)
- Cook bacon in a wide frying pan over medium heat until crisp. Lift out, drain, crumble and set aside. Pour off and reserve drippings; return 2 tablespoons of the drippings to pan.
- Dredge liver in flour and shake off excess. Add liver to pan, a few pieces at a time (do not crowd pan). Cook over medium heat, turning as needed, until lightly browned on both sides; add more dripping to pan as needed to prevent sticking. Arrange liver in a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan.
- Add onion and bell pepper to frying pan; cook, stirring often, until onion is soft, about 5 minutes. spoon vegetables evenly over liver, sprinkle with soup mix, and pour tomatoes over all. Sprinkle with bacon, seasoned salt and pepper.
- Cover and bake in a 350°F (175°C) oven until heated through, about 25 minutes.
- Serve with hot cooked noodles, if desired.
Makes 6 servings.