Nuevo Chipotle Beef in Butternut Squash Boats
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
This recipe is an excellent source of fiber, protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc.
1 1/2 pounds beef for stew
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup tomato paste
2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons ground chipotle chile pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 medium butternut squash (about 3 pounds)
1 1/2 cups water
1 medium tomato, chopped
1 small ripe avocado, cut into cubes (optional)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Place beef, water, tomato paste, sugar, vinegar, chipotle pepper, cumin, salt and black pepper in stockpot. Cover and bake in 325°F (160°C) oven 1 3/4 to 2 1/4 hours or until beef is fork to tender.
- Meanwhile cut squash lengthwise into quarters; remove seeds.
- Place squash cut side down in 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish, overlapping if necessary. Add water.
- Bake in 325°F (160°C) oven 1 to 1 1/4 hours or until fork to tender.
- To Serve: Place each baked squash quarter onto serving plate. Fill with equal amounts of beef mixture. Top with tomato and avocado, if desired. Sprinkle with cilantro.
Makes 4 servings.
Tip: Use the Internet to easily locate ethnic or hard to to to find foods when specialty markets are not nearby as many ingredients may be available via mail order.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 355; Total Fat: 9g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 73mg; Total Carbs: 44g; Fiber: 9g; Protein: 29g; Sodium: 528mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.