Stir-fried beef, green onions, spinach and water chestnuts in a zesty, orange-garlic soy sauce.
12 ounces beef top round steak
1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
1/2 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon beef base or bouillon granules
1 tablespoon peanut or vegetable oil
4 green onions, bias-sliced into 1-inch pieces
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
6 cups (8-ounces) coarsely shredded spinach
1/2 of an 8-ounce can sliced water chestnuts, drained
Hot cooked rice for accompaniment
Slivered orange peel for garnish (optional)
- Trim fat from meat. Partially freeze meat. Thinly slice across the grain into bite-size strips. Set aside.
- For sauce, in a small bowl stir together shredded orange peel, orange juice, cornstarch, soy sauce, sugar, and beef base or granules. Set aside.
- Add oil to a wok or large skillet. Preheat over medium-high heat (add more oil if necessary during cooking). Stir-fry green onions and garlic in hot oil for 1 minute. Remove green onion mixture from wok.
- Add meat to wok. Stir-fry fro 2 to 3 minutes or to desired doneness. Push meat from center of wok.
- Stir sauce; add to center of wok. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Return green onion mixture to wok. Add the spinach and water chestnuts. Stir all ingredients together to coat. Cover and cook about 1 minute more or until heated through.
- Serve immediately over hot cooked rice. If desired, garnish with slivered orange peel.
Makes 4 servings.