Parmesan-Crusted Cubed Steaks with Zucchini Ribbons
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
3 medium zucchini
1/3 cup water
2/3 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese - divided use
4 beef cubed steaks (about 4 ounces each)
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons vegetable oil - divided use
- Pull vegetable peeler lengthwise along zucchini to create thin ribbons, rotating zucchini after every 4 to 6 ribbons to keep slices uniform. Set aside.
- Pour water in shallow dish. Combine bread crumbs and 1/3 cup cheese in second shallow dish.
- Dip each beef steak into water, then into bread crumb mixture turning to coat both sides.
- Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in large nonstick skillet over medium to medium-high heat until hot.
- Place 2 steaks in skillet; cook 5 to 6 minutes to medium (160°F (71.1°C)) doneness, until not pink in center and juices show no pink color, turning once. Remove steaks; keep warm. Repeat with 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and remaining steaks, adjusting heat as necessary to avoid over browning.
- Carefully wipe out skillet with paper towels.
- Heat remaining 2 teaspoons vegetable oil in skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add zucchini; cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes or until just tender. Remove from heat; season with salt and pepper, as desired. Toss with remaining 1/3 cup cheese. Serve with steaks.
Makes 4 servings.
Tip: For best results, use the seedless portion of the zucchini for making ribbons.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 417; Total Fat: 22g; Saturated Fat: 7g; Cholesterol: 85mg; Total Carbs: 19g; Fiber: 3g; Protein: 35g; Sodium: 626mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.