Parmesan-Crusted Strip Roast
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
3 tablespoons minced shallots
1/2 cup panko or rustic bread crumbs
1 beef top loin (strip) roast (about 3 to 4 pound)
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Combine cheese, parsley and shallot in food processor; process until finely ground. Transfer to medium bowl; stir in panko.
- Press panko mixture evenly onto all surfaces of beef roast.
- Place roast, fat-side up, on rack in shallow roasting pan. Insert oven-proof meat thermometer so tip is centered in thickest part of beef, not resting in fat. Do not add water or cover.
- Roast in 325°F (160°C) oven 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours for medium rare; 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours for medium doneness.
- Remove roast when meat thermometer registers 135°F (57.2°C) for medium rare; 150°F (68.3°C) for medium.
- Transfer roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes. (Temperature will continue to rise about 10°F to reach 145°F (62.7°C) for medium rare; 160°F (71.1°C) for medium.)
- Carve roast into slices; season with salt and pepper, as desired.
Makes 6 servings.
Tip: To make rustic bread crumbs, place torn baguette or bread in food processor or blender container. Cover; pulse on and off, to form medium to sized crumbs.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 366; Total Fat: 13g; Saturated Fat: 5g; Cholesterol: 140mg; Total Carbs: 6g; Fiber: 1g; Protein: 53g; Sodium: 217mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.