with Warm Cranberry-Jalapeño Sauce
This festive pecan-crusted tenderloin, served with a spicy cranberry and jalapeño sauce, is an ideal entrée to grace your holiday table.
2 to 3 pounds beef tenderloin roast, trimmed
3 tablespoons coarse-grain Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 clove garlic, minced
1 shallot, chopped
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 cup pecans, finely chopped
1 cup fresh cranberries
Juice of half an orange
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 (7-ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained and diced
1 small fresh jalapeño, seeded and diced
3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
Zest of half a lime
Zest of half an orange
- Preheat oven to 425ºF (220ºC).
- Mix mustard, maple syrup, garlic, shallot, rosemary and thyme. Spread evenly over entire surface of tenderloin.
- Roll beef in the pecans, pressing firmly to cover tenderloin with nuts.
- Roast 45 to 60 minutes on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Remove when meat thermometer inserted in center reads 140ºF for medium-rare, 150ºF for medium. Allow roast to stand for 15 minutes before slicing.
- While roast is cooking, blend cranberries, juice and sugar in food processor for 30 to 45 seconds.
- Transfer to a sauté pan and add roasted red peppers, jalapeño, cilantro, lime zest and orange zest. Stir to mix.
- Allow sauce to stand for at least 30 minutes for flavors to blend. Warm sauce over low heat before serving. Do not boil. Add salt to taste.
- Carve tenderloin into 1/2-inch thick slices and serve with cranberry-jalapeño sauce.
Makes 6 to 10 servings.
- Serve with roasted vegetables and sweet potato wedges.
- Top sirloin cut 2-inches thick may be substituted for the tenderloin roast.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.