Peppered Rib-Eye Roast
Preparation begins the day before by marinating this boneless cut of beef for a minimum of 8 hours. Although time is a factor here, this is a fairly simple roast to prepare that definitely rates as company fare.
1/2 cup coarsely cracked black peppercorns
1 (6 pound) boneless rib-eye roast, trimmed
1 cup soy sauce
3/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons water
- Lightly press cracked pepper on all sides of the roast. Place in a large shallow dish.
- Combine soy sauce and next 4 ingredients; pour over roast. Cover and marinate in refrigerator for 8 hours or overnight, turning occasionally.
- Remove roast from marinade, discarding marinade. Place roast on a rack in a shallow roasting pan; insert meat thermometer into thickest part of roast, making sure it does not touch fat.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 325°F (160°C) for 2 1/2 hours or until thermometer registers 140°F (60°C) for rare, 150°F (65°C) for medium-rare, or 160°F (70°C) for medium.
- Remove roast to a serving platter, reserving drippings. Set roast aside, and keep warm.
- Add enough water to reserved dripping to make 1 1/2 cups; return to pan. Combine cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water, stirring until smooth. Add cornstarch mixture to pan; cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and slightly thickened. Serve roast with the sauce.
Makes 12 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): 323.1 calories; 32% calories from fat; 11.2g total fat; 122.5mg cholesterol; 199.6mg sodium; 918.9mg potassium; 3.0g carbohydrates; 0.9g fiber; 0.1g sugar; 2.1g net carbs; 49.8g protein.