Pesto-Rubbed Tri-Tip Roast with Warm Tomato Sauce
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
1 (1 1/2 to 2-pound) beef Tri-Tip roast
1/2 cup prepared basil pesto sauce - divided use
1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1 (14.5-ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes, undrained
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Spread 1/4 cup pesto evenly onto all surfaces of beef roast; sprinkle with pepper.
- Place roast on rack in shallow roasting pan. Do not add water or cover. Roast in 425°F (220°C) oven 30 to 40 minutes for medium rare; 40 to 45 minutes for medium doneness.
- Meanwhile combine tomatoes and onion in small saucepan. Cook over medium heat 15 to 20 minutes or until onion is tender and most of the liquid has evaporated. Stir in remaining 1/4 cup pesto. Keep warm.
- Remove roast when instant to read thermometer registers 135°F (57.2°C) for medium rare; 150°F (68.3°C) for medium.
- Transfer roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 15 minutes. (Temperature will continue to rise about 10°F to reach 145°F (62.7°C) for medium rare; 160°F (71.1°C) for medium.)
- Carve roast across the grain into thin slices. season with salt and pepper, as desired. Serve with tomato sauce and sprinkle with cheese.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories: 297; Total Fat: 18g; Saturated Fat: 5g; Cholesterol: 6mg; Total Carbs: 6g; Fiber: 1g; Protein: 26g; Sodium: 517mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.