Pomegranate Steak with Quinoa
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
Marinade and Sauce:
1 cup pomegranate juice
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary
2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 (8-ounce) boneless beef top loin (strip) steaks, cut 3/4-inch thick
1 cup uncooked quinoa
2 cups vegetable or beef broth
1 cup thinly sliced fresh baby spinach
1/2 cup pomegranate seeds or sweetened dried cranberries
1/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts
2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
Pomegranate seeds (optional)
- For Marinade and Sauce: Combine ingredients in medium bowl. Reserve 3/4 cup for basting sauce. Place beef steaks and remaining marinade in food to safe plastic bag; turn steaks to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 15 minutes to 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, prepare basting sauce. Pour reserved 3/4 cup marinade into small saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook 15 to 20 minutes or until reduced by half and slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- For Quinoa: Cook quinoa in broth in medium saucepan according to package directions. Stir in spinach, pomegranate seeds and walnuts. Keep warm.
- Remove steaks from marinade; discard marinade.
- Place steaks on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, uncovered, 10 to 12 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, covered, 7 to 10 minutes) for medium rare (145°F | 62.7°C) to medium (160°F | 71.1°C) doneness, turning occasionally and basting with sauce.
- Carve steaks into slices; season with salt, as desired. Place quinoa on serving platter; top with cheese. Arrange beef around quinoa. Garnish with pomegranate seeds, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 430; Total Fat: 18g; Saturated Fat: 5g; Cholesterol: 79mg; Total Carbs: 26g; Fiber: 3g; Protein: 40g; Sodium: 141mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.