Pot Roast with Vegetables
This wholesome, slow-cooker, one-pot meal is comforting fare when the weather is cold outside.
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1 (3-pound) beef chuck roast, cut into 6 pieces
2 medium (1 cup) carrots, peeled, cut into 1-inch chunks
1 medium (1 cup) turnip, peeled, cut into 1-inch chunks
1 medium onion, cut into 8 wedges
1 small (1 cup) rutabaga, cut into 1-inch chunks
1 (10.5-ounce) can condensed beef broth
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
2 teaspoons firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons water
2 cups reserved beef juices*
- Melt butter in 12-inch skillet until sizzling; add beef pieces. Cook over medium-high heat, turning once, until browned (7 to 9 minutes).
- Spray 5 to 6-quart slow cooker with no-stick cooking spray. Place all vegetable ingredients in slow cooker; top with browned beef pieces.
- Stir together all seasoning ingredients in medium bowl; pour over beef.
- Cover; cook on Low heat setting 8 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. Remove meat and vegetables to serving platter; keep warm. *Reserve beef juices in slow cooker.
- Combine flour and water in 1 1/2-quart saucepan with wire whisk; stir in 2 cups reserved beef juices. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a full boil (4 to 5 minutes). Boil 1 minute. Serve gravy with meat and vegetables.
Makes 8 servings.