Red Wine Beef Burgundy
An elegant, yet comforting, red wine, beef and mushroom stew.
2 pounds round steak, cubed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
2 onions, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon crushed dried parsley
1/8 teaspoon crushed dried thyme
1 bay leaf
Juice of 1 lemon
2 strips lemon peel
1 1/4 cups red wine
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3 strips of bacon, diced
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2/3 cup beef broth
1 cup sliced mushrooms
- Place cubed round steak in a stockpot; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle onions along with garlic cloves over the meat with parsley, thyme and bay leaf. Add 2 strips of lemon peel and juice, red wine and oil. Marinate the meat for 2 hours, turning occasionally.
- Cook bacon in a skillet for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Drain the steak, reserving the marinade, and toss with flour until evenly coated. Fry with the bacon for several minutes.
- Strain the marinade into the pan, stir well to blend, and add beef broth. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover the pan tightly, and simmer gently for 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours, or until the meat is tender.
- Add mushrooms and cook for 5 to 10 minutes. Serve hot.
Makes 6 servings.