Sauerbraten, literally a pickled pot roast, is one of Germany's favorite comfort foods.
Approximately 4 pounds rump or boneless bottom round roast
2 onions, sliced
4 whole cloves
1 bay leaf
1 cup white distilled vinegar
1 cup water
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup water, boiling
10 gingersnap cookies, crushed
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Place a boneless rump roast in a deep ceramic or glass bowl. Add thinly sliced onions, peppercorns, whole cloves, and bay leaf. Pour vinegar, water, and cider vinegar over the meat; chill, covered, for 4 days. Turn the meat twice each day.
- Remove the meat from the marinade, pat dry, and strain the marinade into a bowl. Reserve the onions and 1 cup of the marinade.
- In a kettle over medium-high heat, brown the roast on all sides in oil. Sprinkle with salt and pour boiling water around the meat. Sprinkle in crushed gingersnap cookies, and simmer covered for 1 1/2 hours. Turn often.
- Add the reserved marinade and cook the roast for 2 hours, or until tender. Remove the meat; keep warm. Strain the cooking juices into a large saucepan.
- In a small bowl, mix sour cream with flour. Stir into the cooking juices and cook, stirring, until sauce is thickened and smooth.
- Slice the meat and add to the hot gravy.
Makes 8 servings.