Shredded Beef Filling Two Ways
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
2 1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck shoulder pot roast
2 teaspoons olive oil
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
1 (14 to 14.5-ounce) can beef broth
2 tablespoon minced garlic
Taco BBQ Sandwiches:
1 1/2 cups barbecue sauce
1 (16-ounce) jar chipotle salsa
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Place beef pot roast in stockpot; brown evenly. Pour off drippings; season with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Add broth and garlic to stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 hours or until pot roast is fork to tender.
- Remove pot roast; cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking liquid; reserve liquid. Trim and discard excess fat from cooked pot roast. Shred pot roast with 2 forks. Use to prepare Tangy BBQ Sandwiches or Chipotle Tacos.
- For Tangy BBQ Sandwiches: Combine shredded pot roast and 1 1/2 cups prepared barbecue sauce in 3-quart saucepan. Cook over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until heated through, stirring frequently, adding enough reserved cooking liquid (up to 1/2 cup) to maintain a moist consistency, if necessary. Serve on split Kaiser rolls.
- For Chipotle Tacos: Combine shredded pot roast and 1 (16-ounce) jar prepared chipotle salsa in 3-quart saucepan. Cook over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until heated through, stirring frequently, adding enough reserved cooking liquid (up to 1/2 cup) to maintain a moist consistency, if necessary. Stir in 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, if desired. Serve mixture with warmed flour tortillas.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe for Tangy BBQ Sandwich): Calories: 397; Total Fat: 11g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 80mg; Total Carbs: 39g; Fiber: 2g; Protein: 33g; Sodium: 1168mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.