Sirloin Tip Roast with Roasted Vegetable Gravy
A white wine marinated, oven-braised sirloin beef roast is served with a savory roasted vegetable gravy. Add mashed potatoes, buttered vegetables and a green salad for a hearty comfort meal the whole family will enjoy.
3 cups white wine
1 cup water
2 onions, thinly sliced
2 cups sliced, peeled carrots
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 teaspoons crushed dried parsley
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 (5-pound) sirloin tip roast
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup beef broth
1 cup tomato sauce
3 tablespoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons water
- In a medium bowl, combine wine, 1 cup water, onions, carrots, garlic, parsley, bay leaf, salt, pepper and thyme.
- Place sirloin roast in a large glass or plastic bowl and pour marinade on top. Turn over a few times to fully coat with marinade. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to cook, preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Remove meat from marinade and pat dry with paper towels; reserving marinade.
- Heat oil in a heavy skillet and brown meat on all sides.
- Place browned roast in a baking pan and add beef broth, tomato sauce and reserved marinade. Cover and bake for 2 to 3 hours, or until done; 140°F for rare and 160°F (70°C) for medium.
- Remove the meat from the pan and hold warm.
- Strain juices into a saucepan.
- Mash onion and carrots, add to saucepan.
- Dissolve cornstarch in 3 tablespoons of water and add to saucepan. Stir over medium heat until gravy is thickened.
- Serve vegetable gravy alongside meat.
Makes 10 to 12 servings.