Sonoma Steaks with Vegetables Bocconcini
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
2 boneless beef top loin (strip) steaks, cut 3/4-inch thick (about 8 ounces each)
1 (9 to 16-ounce) container herb to marinated small fresh mozzarella balls (bocconcini)
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 medium zucchini, cut diagonally into 1/4-inch thick slices
1 large yellow bell pepper, cut into 3/4-inch wide strips
1 cup small red grape tomatoes
- Drain bocconcini (fresh mozzarella balls, reserving 1/3 cup marinade. Combine reserved marinade and vinegar in small bowl.
- Toss zucchini and bell pepper with 2 tablespoons marinade mixture in large bowl; cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Place beef steaks and remaining marinade mixture in food to safe plastic bag; turn steaks to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 15 minutes to 2 hours
- Remove steaks from marinade; discard marinade.
- Remove vegetables from marinade; place in grill basket.
- Place steaks on one half of grid over medium, ash-covered coals; place grill basket on other half of grid. Grill steaks, uncovered, 10 to 12 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, covered, 7 to 10 minutes) for medium rare (145°F | 62.7°C) to medium (160°F | 71.1°C) doneness, turning occasionally. Remove steaks; keep warm.
- Grill vegetables 10 to 13 minutes or until crisp-tender, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes during last 2 minutes of grilling.
- Combine grilled vegetables and bocconcini in large bowl; toss gently to combine. Carve steaks into slices; season with salt, as desired. Serve with vegetable mixture.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.