South Pacific Steak
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
4 (6-ounce) boneless beef chuck steak or shoulder top blade (flat iron) steak
4 (12-inch) bamboo skewers
1 1/2 cups fresh pineapple chunks packed in juice
1/2 cup hoisin sauce
1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1 1/2-inch squares
1 small red onion, cut into 8 wedges
1/3 cup apricot preserves
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Soak bamboo skewers in water 10 minutes; drain.
- Meanwhile drain pineapple, reserving 1/2 cups juice. Combine pineapple juice and hoisin sauce in small bowl.
- Place steaks in food to safe plastic bag. Pour 1/4 cup hoisin to pineapple mixture over steaks; turn to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 30 minutes to 2 hours.
- Alternately thread pineapple chunks, bell pepper pieces and onion wedges onto skewers. Place in glass dish; brush 1/4 cup hoisin to pineapple mixture on kabobs. Cover and marinate in refrigerator up to 2 hours.
- Remove steaks and skewers from marinade; discard marinade. Place steaks and kabobs on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill steaks, covered, 10 to 14 minutes until steaks are medium rare to medium doneness and vegetables are crisp-tender, turning occasionally.
- Meanwhile, combine remaining hoisin to pineapple mixture, apricot preserves and lemon juice in small saucepan; cook and stir over medium heat until hot. Serve steaks with kabobs and sauce. Sprinkle with cilantro.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 380; Total Fat: 8g; Cholesterol: 81mg; Total Carbs: 42g; Protein: 35g; Sodium: 497mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.