A delicious Greek beef stew with feta cheese.
1/4 cup olive oil
1 (1 1/2 pound) chuck roast
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 (12-ounce) jar pearl onions
1 pound tomatoes, seeded and chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon thyme
1 tablespoon rosemary
1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 cups dry red wine
1/2 pound feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Heat olive oil in an oven-safe kettle over medium-high heat.
- Dice chuck roast and toss with flour until evenly coated.
- Place roast in kettle and cook until brown, stirring occasionally; set aside. Add pearl onions to the pan and cook until light brown, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes. Add chopped tomatoes, minced garlic clove, thyme, rosemary, oregano, bay leaf, and cumin. Stir in red wine and bring to a boil. Cover and bake until the beef is tender, about 2 hours.
- Stir feta cheese into the stew. Return to the oven and continue baking until cheese is heated through, about 10 minutes.
Makes 4 servings.