Stir-Fry Broccoli and Beef
Thin slices of beef round steak stir-fried with broccoli and onion in seasoned soy sauce.
1 pound round steak
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup water - divided use
2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon cornstarch
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 cups chopped broccoli
1 onion, coarsely chopped
- Partially freeze round steak; thinly sliced against the grain and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine soy sauce, 1/4 cup water, brown sugar, crushed garlic clove, ginger, and cornstarch; mix well then add the steak. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Drain the steak, reserving the marinade. Pour oil around a hot wok, coating the sides; heat for 1 minute. Add the steak and stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes, or until browned. Remove the steak and set aside.
- Add broccoli, onion, and 1/4 cup water to the wok. Cover and reduce the heat to low (225°F); cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until the broccoli is tender-crisp.
- Return the steak and add the marinade; cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Serve with warm rice or noodles.
Makes 6 servings.