Succulent Filet in a Field of Greens
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
4 beef tenderloin (filet) steaks, cut 1-inch thick
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 teaspoons minced garlic - divided use
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
3 cups assorted wild mushrooms (such as cremini, oyster, shiitake, enoki or morel)
2 cups red and/or yellow cherry tomatoes, cut in half
2 tablespoons champagne or white wine vinaigrette
Salt and ground black pepper
1/2 cups mixed baby salad greens
- Preheat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add mushrooms and 1 teaspoon garlic; cook and stir 2 to 4 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and browned. Remove to medium bowl; cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, combine remaining 2 teaspoon garlic and thyme. Press evenly onto beef steaks.
- Place steaks in same skillet over medium heat; cook 10 to 13 minutes for medium rare (145°F | 62.7°C) to medium (160°F | 71.1°C) doneness, turning occasionally. Remove to platter.
- Add tomatoes, salad greens and vinaigrette to mushrooms; toss lightly to coat.
- Season steaks with salt and pepper, as desired. Serve with salad.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 272; Total Fat: 14g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 67mg; Total Carbs: 8g; Fiber: 2g; Protein: 27g; Sodium: 182mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.