Sweet & Sour Hawaiian Beef
Tender beef and crunchy green peppers in a sweet and sour pineapple sauce.
1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1 (8-ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained, reserve juice
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh garlic
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 1/2 pounds round steak, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces, trimmed
1 cup baby-cut carrots, halved crosswise
1 large (1 cup) onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
3 tablespoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons cold water
1 large (2 cups) green pepper, cut into bite-sized pieces
Hot cooked rice, if desired
Green onion slices, if desired
- Combine brown sugar, vinegar, reserved pineapple juice, soy sauce and garlic in small bowl; stir until sugar is dissolved. Set aside.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in 12-inch skillet until sizzling; add half of steak pieces. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until browned (4 to 5 minutes). Place steak pieces in slow cooker. Repeat with remaining butter and steak pieces.
- Add carrots and onion to slow cooker. Pour pineapple juice mixture over vegetables. Cover; cook on Low heat setting for 7 to 9 hours, or on High heat setting for 3 to 4 hours or until meat is tender.
- Increase heat setting to High. Dissolve cornstarch in cold water in small bowl. Stir cornstarch mixture, pineapple chunks and green pepper into beef mixture. Cover; continue cooking 30 minutes or until green pepper is crisply tender and juices are thickened.
- Serve over hot cooked rice and garnish with green onions, if desired.
Makes 6 servings.
Tip: Tougher, less expensive cuts of meat are perfect to use in the slow cooker. The slow cooking process breaks down tough connective tissue, making the meat tender. The tougher cuts are more flavorful than the more tender pieces, especially if browned first before adding to other ingredients. And the long cooking time brings out the full flavor of the less expensive cuts.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories: 350, Fat: 14 g, Cholesterol: 80 mg, Sodium: 620 mg, Carbohydrates: 30 g, Dietary Fiber: 2 g, Protein: 26 g.