Tex-Mex BBQ Beef Ribs
Cooking the ribs in two steps ensures maximum tenderness and flavor.
3 to 4 pounds beef chuck short ribs
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce (1 cup)
1/3 cup tomato-based picante-style salsa
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- Trim fat from ribs. Cut ribs into serving-size pieces. Place in a large cooking pot or Dutch oven. Add water to cover ribs. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until tender. Drain ribs.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a small saucepan over medium-hot heat. When hot, add chili powder and oregano and cook, stirring constantly, for a few seconds. Immediately add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a covered grill arrange medium-hot coals (350°F to 400°F / 175°C to 205°C) around a drip pan.
- Place ribs on grill rack over drip pan. Brush with sauce. Cover and grill for 15 to 20 minutes or until nicely browned, brushing occasionally with sauce.
- Serve ribs with any remaining sauce.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.