Texas Barbecue Brisket
It is claimed that this recipe for Texas Barbecue Brisket has been served to President Lyndon B. Johnson. Whether or not this is true, it is a great recipe for barbecue beef brisket.
1 (5-pound) brisket of beef
1 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper to taste
1 large onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 cup chili sauce
1 cup water
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 (10-ounce) bottle of beer
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Remove most of the fat from the brisket and wash and dry. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place the meat, fat side up, in a heavy casserole dish and cover with the onion, celery, chili sauce, water and parsley. Bake, uncovered, in preheated oven for 1 hour.
- Pour the beer over the beef and bake, covered, 3 more hours or until tender.
- Cool to room temperature, refrigerate, skim off the fat, slice and reheat in the drippings.
Makes 10 servings.